- Down one, Butler had possession when the ball got knocked into the backcourt.
- Once there, the clock stopped with 14.7 seconds left during mid-play in anticipation of a backcourt violation, but there was no violation because Xavier touched the ball last.
- The clock restarts in the middle of the play, with no pause in the action, as Butler runs it down.
- Butler loses the ball.
- The Bulldogs Gordon Hayward picks up the ball and hits the game winning layup with 1,2 seconds left.
- Due to the clock stoppage (which by my count measured 1.34 seconds left) the referees declared the game over.
And just to avoid controversy, Hayward's shot was released with 1.8 seconds remaining and took around .6 to get through the net.
I agree with the call. I felt that with the 1.34 off the clock the game would've been over as soon as Hayward's shot went through. If Hayward had hesitated at all, his shot would've also been in question.
Here's all my thoughts on the game: http://www.onlinesportsfanatic.com/
<!-- Session data-->