Tonight's 10 college basketball thoughts:
1) Remember when St. Louis only scored 20 points last year in a game? Well if they had played Illinois tonight (who lost by five despite only scoring 33 points) they would've only lost by 13. How about that? How does a potential NCAA Tournament top six seed lose while only scoring 33 points?
2) LSU stormed back to knock off Arkansas tonight. The Tigers are for real if there are any doubters left. They lead the SEC and have played well, despite the lack of national attention the entire conference is getting.
3) UNLV lost AGAIN on Wednesday, this time to Wyoming. Coming in the Cowboys had lost three straight games and were reeling faster than Luke Harangody on a bicycle with a Georgetown bumper sticker. The Rebels are now in big NCAA Tournament trouble. I had them in coming into tonight but that might change when my new bracket comes out.
4) Boise State knocked off Utah State on Saturday, ending the nation's longest winning streak. The Broncos lost by two against Idaho on Wednsday while the Aggies bounced back to destroy Cal State Bakersfield. This just proves how crazy this college basketball season has been (but aren't they all).
5) Northwestern lost three straight games in which they blew leads to Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan before ending their losing streak to Ohio State. Remember the Wildcats are STILL the only team in a BCS league that has never made the NCAA Tournament. If not for those three straight losses the Wildcats would probably be on the good side of the bubble right now.
6) Why does Tennessee keep getting a free pass? After their blowout loss to Ole Miss they've now lost 5 out of 11 and 3 of their last 7 games. Do wins over Marquette, Florida, Georgetown, and Siena really mean you're a lock? No it doesn't, but for some reason people are giving the Volunteers a free pass into the tournament. Their computer numbers are good, and this is a very talented basketball team but they aren't playing well. Bruce Pearl needs to rally his guys before the home stretch begins.
7) Virginia Tech lost again tonight, blowing another chance to win a game before closing with a tough remaining ACC schedule. I don't see any give me wins in a schedule that includes Florida State (twice), Duke, North Carolina, and Clemson. Don't worry though VT fans, because Miami (FL) is not helping themselves out either. Another loss, this time to FSU, has the Hurricanes at 4-8 in the ACC and playing themselves out of a NCAA Tournament bid.
8) Other teams that missed big chances tonight (not including MIA) include Providence (who lost to Louisville), Notre Dame (who lost to West Virginia), and South Carolina (who lost to Mississippi State). UAB, Utah, and Georgetown are all bubble teams that stay won games they couldn't lose tonight.
9) My new bracketology will be out sometime tomorrow afternoon/tomorrow night. I am sorry it's not out tonight but there's just too much to change/factor in after tonight's lowly peformance by bubble teams.
10) I haven't mentioned this in a while because I figure people will get bored with it, but March Madness on Demand is really awesome. I have been told it's got some new features this year. Sign up here and be ready for when the NCAA Tournament starts (less than a month away). Also be thinking of excuses to get off work ahead of time!