Ten Thoughts From Tuesday night:
1) What a night for SEC basketball. Actually let's think about that statement for a minute. SEC basketball. The league that everyone has laughed at all season was actually the talk of college basketball on this Tuesday, and has actually even been the talk of the college basketball world this entire week. First UK went down (more below) & then FLA-SC played another classic game.
2) Florida knocked off South Carolina despite Devan Downey's best efforts--33 points, 7 of 9 from 3 PT range--and moves to 19-4 on the season. In case you're wondering it's Downey, not Jodie Meeks, that is the SEC's best player this season. And yes I mean that. So get it right. If you think I'm wrong I want to know why, so make sure you post below if you disagree.
3) Florida is now the favorite in the SEC. The Gators are as inconsistent as any SEC school but they do have a big man that is getting better every game (Alex Tyus), a great player (Nick Calathes), a veteran with national championship game experience (Walter Hodge), and a young player coming into his own (Erving Walker).
Dan. It's an interesting thought. But let me ask you this: Why would being overshadowed by a football program limit a basketball program in any way? You know what basketball program is overshadowed by football? Florida. But it just won two titles. You know another one? Oklahoma. But it has the best player in the country and a No. 2 ranking. The days of having to pick between being good at football or basketball are over. Clemson doesn't do it. Michigan State doesn't do it. Neither does Texas. Or Kansas. Or Illinois. Or Tennessee. Or LSU. They're all good at both sports, and Georgia could be too, particularly with the Atlanta recruiting base sitting right there. To think otherwise is to be shortsighted. So if I'm Georgia, I'm hiring somebody who can recruit with Donovan, Pearl and Gillispie, and then hoping for the best. And though we can argue about who that guy might be, I think we can all agree that Bob Knight isn't the person who will ever recruit at that level, and that's why he's a terrible choice for this particular job.
We went back and forth a few times, and you can read it all on the comments section of Gary's blog by clicking here .
5) Did someone say Maryland had a chance to knock off North Carolina tonight? I'm not sure how many times I have to say it, but I will say it one more time. North Carolina is the most talented basketball team in the country. On most nights they are going to win every game, but that's why the NCAA Tournament is so unique. This isn't a Celtics-Lakers seven game series. Instead it's a race to six wins, where every time a team loses they are out for the count. You have to bring your best or go home, and you have to get the right matchups. North Carolina appears to be the team more equipped to do that this year. And yes, that includes me taking the losses of Marcus Ginyard AND Will Graves into consideration .
6) I'm actually going to make this a nightly thing from now on since I seem to find a new team each night. Tonight's Team Deserving Love: Kansas State. There you go. The Wildcats won tonight against lowly Iowa State to improve to 15-7 overall and 4-4 in Big 12 play. Before tonight the Wildcats RPI was 80 and their SOS was 81. Those numbers will have to improve, but it is now safe to call them on the bubble.
7) Apparently Kentucky does NOT deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament after their third straight loss. That's what all you posters on CBS have said so far anyways. My bracketology will hopefully be out tomorrow, giving you guys my thoughts. Make sure you vote if you haven't already on Kentucky's NCAA Tournament status .
8) Just to let you guys know, DO NOT miss the blog tomorrow. I have a great midday question for everyone and I can't wait to get the results.
9) How about Northern Iowa? The Panthers just keep winning and representing the Missouri Valley well. If you're wondering about an at large bid happening, well don't count on it. Right now NIU is 76 in the RPI and has the 124th toughest schedule.
10) A lot of things to throw out right here. First if you have any questions for the new mailbag make sure you PM me with them or email them to me. I did a mailbag this afternoon and got some great questions. Special thanks to Shueless Joe for the pictures. if you find anything cool college basketball related on the world wide web please feel free to shoot me the link. Everyone always wants to see/read stuff that is interesting about college hoops.
Thanks for all the support for the blog! Please post your comments below on anything you read above!