What do us bracketologists/college basketball experts/sports fanatics in general do in our spare time? Stuff like this. Here's 10 storylines to watch for during the rest of the college basketball regular season (which for the purpose of this includes conference tournaments):
1) Who will finish the season #1? Connecticut lost last night and since the new polls come out on Mondays nobody has been able to claim the new top spot so far. Oklahoma and Pittsburgh appear to be the leading candidates, along with preseason favorite North Carolina.
2) Which team will be the NCAA Tournament's #1 overall seed? And yes, for those that don't know this is very different than question #1. Just because a team is #1 in the polls it does not mean that same team will be the #1 team in the NCAA Tournament field.
3) Stephen Curry's health is very important for Davidson. He appears to be healing rather quickly and this may soon become a non story. Right now it is because without Curry the Wildcats could easily miss the NCAA Tournament altogether, and that means one of college basketball's stars wouldn't get to shine on ths stage he dominated last season.
4) Will Kentucky make the NCAA Tournament? I won't ask this question about many single teams during this 10 storyline article but Kentucky IS KENTUCKY. Right now the Wildcats are in the midst of a huge three way logjam at the top of the SEC East standings.
5) And how about Arizona? The Wildcats are trying to keep their 25 year NCAA Tournament streak going. Currently the Wildcats are on an incredible seven game winnning streak.
6) This year's Cinderella team during conference tournaments will be _________. I leave it blank because I don't know. Last year Illinois (who eventually lost) and Georgia (who won the SEC) were among the Cinderellas that made huge runs to try to steal automatic bids.
7) Georgetown & Notre Dame, will either make the Big Dance? Maybe both? More than likely one will but at this point it appears neither would if the season ended today. That's incredible for two teams that were sure top 20 teams before the season.
8) How will Jerome Dyson's absense affect Connecticut's national champioship hopes?
9) Which player will win player of the year? At this point Oklahomla's Blake Griffin is the leading candidate but Hasheem Thabeet, Stephen Curry, James Harden and Tyler Hansbrough are among others that will receive votes.
10A) Which team will be the most deserving of an at large bid but get left out? Every year it seems at least one or two quality teams get left out when they should probably be in the field.
10B) Can Memphis finish off another undefeated season in Conference USA?
10C) There are lots of other storylines but these were the first few that popped in my head. More later!